working in vietnam

Welcome to the Saigonist Expat Forum! Anyone is welcome to ask and answer questions here and there's no need to create an account.

Ask anything related to living and working in Saigon or Vietnam. All that I ask in return is that you look at the existing topics and try to help others with any information that you know.

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
mark (not verified)
working in vietnam

Hi,

how easy is it for educated degree foreigner to find a job with decent salary in Vietnam? I've been contemplating of moving to Vietnam and look for work there temporary.
Thanks,
Mark

Anonymous (not verified)

I know this is an old thread. But I just thought about moving there to live. The problem? I make really good money in the US, but after awhile...you just get sick of this life. Anyone have any experience working for a drug company of some sort in Vietnam?

Anonymous

I'm a 26 year old Vietnamese American who's worked roughly 4 years in logistics and just went to Vietnam to force my way into expatriate status because I wanted to work in Vietnam so badly. 3 months into it, I failed miserably and had to go back to the US. Looking back though, I made a ton of mistakes but at the end of the day I'm still trying to get back because that damn city, HCMC specifically, has got me in a trance.

It's something about Vietnam, that city that keeps me up at night applying for jobs and sending out massive emails. I wanted it so badly I almost worked for $750 a month just to buy myself more time, but then told myself I wouldn't settle. Now I'm back home... It sucks.

tomo

Save up some money so that you can last longer than 3 months here. It doesn't take a lot of money. You're right, it sucks being back in the US after being in Vietnam. :) So make it happen!

Anonymous

Hi All,

Just would like to check, is monthly USD 2,500 net salary consider high in Vietnam?
How about the life if I could only able to spent USD 1,000 a month, where there is house provided by company with clearer services. the place will be in Bac Ninh Province,Vietnam.

Thanks,

Ray.

Anonymous

That's more than 8 months pay for an experienced VN teacher, my wife has been teaching Physics, Maths and Biology for the last 20 something years, ( 20 yrs gives her a 1/2 pension, at 55 yrs she will get a full pension ), just had a pay rise, now gets 6 mil a month. No tax.

tomo

Thanks for the comment. It's true, Vietnamese teachers make anywhere from 1.5 million VND and up.

Anonymous

hello..i was hired as english teacher but I'm still waiting for my working visa. I feel nervous what will be my life there in Vietnam. Though, I worked before in Saudi Arabia but as a Nurse but when I went to Thailand, it was just a temporary job, teaching english. So this time, Vietnam will be my next destination.

Anonymous

I've been waiting over 18 months for a Permanent Residency Application, we don't bother even asking anymore when I go to renew my Visa every 90 days, ( 735,000 ), only good thing about being stuffed around is the fact that I haven't had to leave VN in 21 months, saved me millions, and all the travel headaches.

tomo

In Vietnam, it's quite common for expats to work for several months or more while their work permit is sorted out as it can take awhile.

Anonymous

I have diploma in administration and am planning to move to vietnam by august 2012. Can I use my diploma to teach english in vietnam,i have three yrs experience in teaching. U can reach me through my email, [email protected] my name is yemi I need ur advise thanks.

tomo

Having any diploma will help. But you will still need to get a teaching certificate which you can get in Vietnam anyways.

tomo (not verified)

Hi Mark,

The Vietnamese job market for foreigners lacks both breadth and depth. When there are jobs available, they are good. But to come to Vietnam and expect to find a job exactly matching your experience and skills will unfortunately lead to disappointment here so I don't want to set you up with any such expectations.

As I and others have said, teaching English is by far the most common job for foreigners here, and the pay is quite decent.

It would help if you said what your degree or experience was in, and maybe what you think a decent salary would be.

Anonymous

Yes, I agree that the most common way is to be an English teacher. You can get certificate of teaching English in Vietnam from ILA. And in case you find a place to stay, you can take a look at http://www.apato.com.vn/. Hope it help.

Anonymous

Hi Mark,
As Tomo say, the easiest and the most populaver job for foreigners is teaching English. After that, depend on your educated degree, you can find another job which is suit for your major and having proper salary.

Can you tell me what major did you graduated? so I can give you some advice.

Regards,
Quan Phi,
Yahoo: dongquan1812
Mobile: +84 126 468 7799.
Email: [email protected]

tomo

Hi Mark,

The easiest job to find here with and sometimes even without a diploma is teaching English.

Vietnam is the best country in the world to be an English teacher. The salaries are high and the cost of living is dirt cheap.

For specialized jobs, the job market size is smaller than the US. So it depends on what your degree and experience are in.

It is easier for foreigners to get into management.

Anonymous

Tomo,

What about Contract Manufacturing? I have 5 years experience in the industry doing Purchasing, Finance, and have been a Program Manager for 2 years. We have a sister company in Malaysia but have not branched out to Vietnam yet, which I'd like to see happen. I'm an expat as well and was wondering if such similar industry exists, as I would love to do the same thing in Saigon instead of Silicon Valley.

Anonymous

Tomo,

What about Contract Manufacturing? I have 5 years experience in the industry doing Purchasing, Finance, and have been a Program Manager for 2 years. We have a sister company in Malaysia but have not branched out to Vietnam yet, which I'd like to see happen. I'm an expat as well and was wondering if such similar industry exists, as I would love to do the same thing in Saigon instead of Silicon Valley.

tomo

I can't say much about contract manufacturing in Vietnam. Manufacturing as an industry is growing though. It also depends on what kind of goods you want to produce here.

Anonymous

What's being manufactured isn't too important to me, I'm just wondering if there are many Program Mgmt./Product Mgmt. positions out there. Do you have any recommendations? I could start a new topic on the job forum, as I see most people are discussing teaching jobs.

© 2010-2014 Saigonist.