Noise & Pollution & Moving to HCMC

Welcome to the Saigonist Expat Forum! Anyone is welcome to ask and answer questions here and there's no need to create an account.

Ask anything related to living and working in Saigon or Vietnam. All that I ask in return is that you look at the existing topics and try to help others with any information that you know.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Squall (not verified)
Noise & Pollution & Moving to HCMC

Hi there, im really psyched about taking up my new post in HCMC but i worry about the effect the noise n pollution is gonna have on my 16month old son. With my office in district 1 its imperative that I find a quiet house hidden away but still within reasonable distance to my office and strores n markets with enough 'run n play' space/garden for him. How feasible is this?
For me of cos I dont mind getting deaf and even contracting lung problems cos theres too much of a psychedlic experience waiting for me that I cannot miss. To sum up, a safe, quiet, green and spacious house that is not anything like an artifical apartment for less than usd 500 to 700 a month. I anyway spend 40minutes on the road everyday to get to work here in Sri Lanka so Im prepared to do the same if necessary. The plan is for me to go there and look for a place n then bring over the family but Im still in two minds whether Il be able to find such a place within my given package.
Hope you can help out. tks alot!

Anonymous

i am going to live in ho chi minh city next year how much for rent small house my wife will live with me i am from usa

Anonymous

Hi friend,
It's hard to answer your question because of lacking of infomation.
Could you please tell us how big the house is (how many square meter), how many room do you want, do you accept aparment or room for rent? Where do you want to live, near center or a little bit far from center is ok .... Do you accept house in small alley.
Regards,
Quan Phi
Bao Ngoc Hotel
Yahoo: dongquan1812
Mobile: +84 126 468 7799.
Email: [email protected]

Anonymous

Hi friend,
It's hard to answer your question because of lacking of infomation.
Could you please tell us how big the house is (how many square meter), how many room do you want, do you accept aparment or room for rent? Where do you want to live, near center or a little bit far from center is ok .... Do you accept house in small alley.

Anonymous

Hi Squall. Yes, the streets of Saigon are busy and can be quite noisy from morning til evening. Most people live in alleys and you should too, unless you want to live far from the city. Live in a dead end alley and there should basically be no through traffic. You'll still be able to hear traffic from the main roads, but faintly. There will always be some level of "hum" of the city. Most housing in Vietnam is porous. For Vietnamese people without air conditioning, this lets the building vent. What you will want is the opposite, which will also make it quiet inside your house.

By living deep in an alley, you are far from both noise and other pollution.

I'm not a real estate agent so I can't find you the exact house myself, but it is definitely feasible. But to have a garden is rare in this city. You will probably need to look outside of District 1. In District 2, there are many houses with yards or gardens but they will be a little more expensive despite being a bit far, as this area (An Phu) is full of expats.

Forty minutes commute can get you nearly all the way across the city here. That means you could actually live nearly in the countryside (e.g. Binh Chanh) and still get to District 1 in under 40 minutes.

© 2010-2014 Saigonist.