Not speaking Vietnamese

Welcome to the Saigonist Expat Forum! Anyone is welcome to ask and answer questions here and there's no need to create an account.

Ask anything related to living and working in Saigon or Vietnam. All that I ask in return is that you look at the existing topics and try to help others with any information that you know.

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Richard Hankin (not verified)
Not speaking Vietnamese

I will be visiting SE Asia soon and have tentative plans to visit Vietnam and especially
Nha Trang as a POSSIBLE retirement destination.
I know NO one in Vietnam and will be alone..sad, I know but how difficult would it be to get things done etc etc WITHOUT speaking Vietnamese( in Nha Trang or)???

Anonymous

Hi Richard,
Please contact with me, i think i can help you to distribute your life in Nha Trang city. This is my email
[email protected]
yahoo: vietbeauty86
please feel free to le me know if you have any question,
Regards,
Bao Chau

Anonymous

how do you "retire" in vietnam....which visa can you do that on?

tomo

Some countries (like the Philippines, Malaysia) do have "retire abroad" visas. Vietnam doesn't have such an official visa. But since you're here to retire and not work it's actually simple - you get a tourist visa to visit relatives which you can extend indefinitely.

Anonymous

Actually, the Vietnamese authorities have been clamping down on visa extensions of late. Most people will get away with visa extensions for up to 2 years (more if you know someone who can 'help you out' nudge nudge wink wink). After that, you will need to apply for a temporary residence permit which is valid for 3 years (renewable up to 12 years). The criteria for obtaining one depends on your circumstances. Seek out a good VN lawyer for further advice, especially if you intend to retire here.

tomo

You mean renew continuously for 2 years on the same visa? In that case, for most foreigners, just go back to your home country once every other year, or to another country like Cambodia.

Getting a residence card is definitely more complicated!

Anonymous

I applied for Permanent Residency nearly 2 yrs ago, ( I'm married to a VN ), but have since given up worrying about it, a 5 yr Exemption Visa is much easier and cheaper...( once you get passed the usual paperwork of course ).

© 2010-2014 Saigonist.