Living in Vietnam

Welcome to the Saigonist Expat Forum! Anyone is welcome to ask and answer questions here and there's no need to create an account.

Ask anything related to living and working in Saigon or Vietnam. All that I ask in return is that you look at the existing topics and try to help others with any information that you know.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Carl Loud (not verified)
Living in Vietnam

I am a 63yr old American citizen, retired from the U.S. Navy and soon to be retired from the Federal Government where I have been employed as a Medical Assistant/Health Technician/EMT my entire working life. I have no health problems, no criminal background issues, single, with no dependents and am considering living a new, less-stressful, less-expensive life style.
I have never visited Vietnam but all the information I have gathered, researched and heard about makes my consideration for leaving the United States and starting anew even more compelling. Any and all advice that you may have would be of great interest to me in helping with my decision. Thank-you in advance for time and help.

Anonymous

I am from the USA, currently live in Dagupan City, Pangasinan, Philippines (2 1/2 years in the Philippines) and am thinking of moving to Saigon (HCMC) and living there. I have been to Saigon before (2003) and really enjoyed it there, always wanted nto go back - don't know why I didn't go there in 2010 - oh well.

I have considerable personal belongings, furniture and music equipment, love to sing - (all this stuf fills a 2 br [4 room]) apartment - up n dwn. I would like to take all this with me to Saigon. Does anyone have any information on how I can get myself and things to Saigon (affordably) from the Philippines? I would probably need a container that I could pack here and unpack there.

you may email me at: [email protected]

Anonymous

Better prepare yourself also for a long wait and mountains of paperwork, ( Customs, and many other Govt agencies ), VN has a unique way of creating/maintaining employment , there seems to be a separate office/dept for nearly everything, ( have to look after that family ), and computers don't seem to get much use.
I'm glad I didn't bring much stuff here with me, its probably cheaper to buy here now, than the cost of freight, and the many hassles with Govt Depts.

tomo

I think you're looking at filling up and shipping a regular shipping container. There's not any service I'm aware of that packages this up nicely for you like I know in the US. Basically, you could use a relocation company (of which there are many, such as Santa Fe where a few friends work). It won't be cheap.

Anonymous

Hi Carl,
Are you looking at living in the Rat race, ( big overcrowded, polluted and now expensive cities, i.e, Saigon/Hanoi ), or the laid back inexpensive country life, my wife has a widowed, ex school teacher friend who is looking for some company in Quang Ngai, ( Central VN ).

© 2010-2014 Saigonist.