$500USD a month enough to live in HCMC?

Welcome to the Saigonist Expat Forum! Anyone is welcome to ask and answer questions here and there's no need to create an account.

Ask anything related to living and working in Saigon or Vietnam. All that I ask in return is that you look at the existing topics and try to help others with any information that you know.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
TT (not verified)
$500USD a month enough to live in HCMC?

Hey, I was just wondering was $500 USD a month enough to survive happily? I am from New Zealand and am looking at coming over with a Grad Internship and am wondering if that's suffice to live over there?
Thanks heaps!

Anonymous

Hey. USD500 is what i sent to my wife every month, im from singapore. it should be great for u to stay. But the only issue is about how much u going to spend on your housing monthly. my WIFE for USD500 convent is around 10millions dong. can pay for my gal english school, school for around 2 millions. her mum allowance 1millions, other is motorcycle petrol, internet, electrical bill, gas, food for family. For you as a single u should be able to make it.

tomo

And I'm sure that your wife is happy, not feeling like her husband is forcing her into poverty. Cheers on having a Vietnamese wife!

From about 60 months worth of that payment you can consider buying a cheap condo out in the suburbs of Ho Chi Minh City.

Anonymous

Yes, you can.If you have any more question about house rental, travel, ...please feel free let's me know. I think i can help because i'm living in HCMC. Nice to meet you!
[email protected]
084-0908606998

tomo

I assume you've read my original how to live in Vietnam on $600/month post?

By cutting back on some (all) luxuries like eating out every meal, maid service, etc. you can surely live off $500/month considering Vietnamese people live by themselves on salaries of $150 and with family or friends for less. Just don't complain that you don't have money to buy a plane ticket home. :)

© 2010-2014 Saigonist.