Welcome to the Saigonist Expat Forum! Anyone is welcome to ask and answer questions here and there's no need to create an account.

Ask anything related to living and working in Saigon or Vietnam. All that I ask in return is that you look at the existing topics and try to help others with any information that you know.

3 posts / 0 new
Last post

So, I am coming to Vietnam to teach English, but I'm not able to obtain a work permit. What I was able to obtain is a three month visa, although I would like to stay longer. I have yet to buy my airfare and I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on what I should do for my return flight. I'm assuming if my flight is for a date after my original visa expires I might not be allowed to enter. Is this correct? If so, should I just book my return flight within the three months and then change my flight upon visa extension? I would like to book my flight for six months after my arrival date because it will be cheaper, but I am not sure if I should do that. Any help would be great.


That's great information, Tomo. I always appreciate the feedback I get from Saigonist.



Technically, you do need a return flight before you enter. But I have never had one when I've entered Vietnam, meaning each time I come back to Vietnam it's usually the return of my flight out and so I won't fly back out from Vietnam for months. I've never been asked nor has anyone I know. So I wouldn't worry about having the return flight. YMMV

So you can also book your return flight for well after the 3-month visa and plan on extending the visa while you're in the country. You can generally extend a normal 3-month tourist visa two times before either paying a higher fee or doing a "visa run" to Cambodia.

© 2010-2014 Saigonist.